Old September 29th 12, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Default How does I fix these cranks?

Lou Holtman wrote:
Op 29-9-2012 5:17, Dan O schreef:

The UN54 in my bike has gone tens of thousands of miles and is fine,
but if I had the dough, I'd be very happy with a Phil Wood BB (why go
halfway?)

Why, even a Phil Wood are two ball bearings in a shell, with a spindle.
Hard to beat a Shimano unit. I had a UN72 which served 8 years of ATB
duty and is now in a friends ATB.

Agreed. My inexpensive Shimano unit has been perfect for many, many
years. When Phil Wood's was (almost?) the only sealed BB, it was
probably best. Now there are choices.

Does the Phil BB require a special tool - or rather, is it different
from other tools for sealed BBs? I ask because I acquired a Phil tool
as part of a box of tools when a local bike shop folded. I had no
matching bottom bracket, but a friend did, and he was extremely pleased
when I gave him that tool. But this was before Shimano produced their
sealed BB, so I wonder if the tools match.

--
- Frank Krygowski