Old October 2nd 12, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

Default How does I fix these cranks?

"Doug Cimperman" wrote in message
On 9/29/2012 3:09 PM, Dan O wrote:

Well, as noted I am running a cheapo throwaway BB; but there's an
appeal to having core components that are both maximally durable,
serviceable, *and* provide ideal performance. I can't afford a Rolex,
but expect my Seiko to be there for me forever.

The guy was talking about spending $100 just to get up away from the
low end. Given that kind of inclination, I'd just go for the high-end
and be done with it.

What I meant earlier when I said that a lot of cartridge-bearing BB's were
expensive, was that I noticed that a couple (road triples) I found had
their own (also expensive) cranks, such as Dura Ace. The price of the
bottom brackets was no big deal, but the price of the necessary cranks to
fit them made them economically unattractive.

The Phil Wood is a highly regarded BB that is still made for square-taper.

,,,,,

Do you put anything on the square-tapers when assembling? Anti-sieze? A
bit of grease or oil?

This is another place I would not put teflon powder, but a bit of
something in there would help reduce the crank sticking a lot. Oil alone
would just squeeze out so anything to help would need to have a solid
content.

Doug Cimperman,
Anti-sieze.
Kerry