Old July 16th 17, 09:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Hazard on the roads and trails for bicyclists

On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 20:21:44 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

A number oftimes in the last couple of months I've noticed extremely dangerous riding by these newfangled electric scooter/bike riders. In our area these are NOT allowed on the park trails or multi-use paths yet many electric bike operators zoom along at quite a high speed compared to the average pedal powered bicycle rider. Add in the fact that these electric bikes are nearly silent and you have an increasingly hazaradous thing to try and avoid. what makes it really bad is that these things don't need to be licensed and it seems that most of the ones riding them have no idea what the rules of the road are for them and/or where they're allowedto ride them.

Be aware of these things lest one day they give you that run down feeling.

I wonder if eventually electric bikes and their rider will have to licensed?

Cheers

I believe that Singapore has recently promulgated rules for electric
powered bicycles.

1. Must be at least 16 years old, both rider and pillion passenger.
Helmet must be worn.

2. Electric bikes are allowed on roads, and cycling or shared paths,
but not on footpaths.

3. Maximum speed is 25kmh.

4. Maximum continuous power output must not exceed 250 watts
Note: First-time offenders who illegally modify e-bikes currently face
a fine of up to $2,000 or jail for up to three months, under the Road
Traffic Act.

5. Motor power should kick in only when rider starts to pedal
Note: LTA issued 1,433 summonses over the sale or use of non-compliant
e-bikes between January and September 2016.

6. Weight of e-bikes cannot exceed 20kg

7. All e-bikes must have an LTA approval seal
--
Cheers,

John B.