Old March 10th 19, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default The death of rim brakes?

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 12:51:54 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 8:22:10 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/10/2019 11:07 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 2:34:24 PM UTC+1, wrote:
I keep reading see all the bikes coming out and basically all disc brakes. I cannot believe rim brakes are going to be gone but maybe I am just kidding myself. I frankly hate the disc brake look and certainly for a long time parts will be around but are these rim brakes a dead deal.

Deacon Mark

Try to find a ATB without disc brakes. I think that is also gonna happen with road bikes.

Fashion is weird and powerful.

For off road, discs are clearly better. It is not even debatable. Discs are better for some road applications as well, but clearly rim brakes are fine for dry weather road riding with aluminum rims. I'm sure they will be around forever.

-- Jay Beattie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb-ntb7RNKE