Old March 13th 19, 10:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

Default The death of rim brakes?

On 13-03-19 02:46, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I guess we could do a poll. How many here have had a road bike rim fail
by having the brakes eat through it?

Not me personally, because I check for rim wear now and again. However,
a friend did have a rim develop a crack along the circumference while
riding. He managed to get home by disconnecting the brake cable on that
wheel, but to me this still seems dangerous.

Something related: For a new mountain bike I went for the expensive
Shimano Ice-Tec rotors, which have a steel layer over an aluminum core.
At the bike store they showed me a rotor that someone didn't check and
change in time: If the steel wears through, the aluminum will just
crumble. So another thing to check for wear.

Ned