Old May 11th 17, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Is there any good non-rechargeable headlights anymore?

On 2017-05-10 19:53, sms wrote:
On 5/10/2017 9:44 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

Quote "4 rechargeable Ni-MH batteries, each 2100 mAh, no memory
effect. Charging time approx. 5 hours using provided charging unit.
Power supply by 4 non-rechargeable AA batteries possible".

For a lot of lights, the output is significantly less on primary cells.
Alkaline batteries have high internal resistance and can't provide the
current that NiMH AA batteries provide.

For a light as expensive as the Ixon I sure hope the engineers have
figured out how to design a proper switch-mode converter for constant
LED current. Else they should be moved to the dog house for a while.

However, alkaline don't last long for high light output. Just like with
digital cameras where NiMH provides for more shots despite having lower
capacity.

There are some good 4AA flashlights that could double as a bicycle light
but these are high-end lights and are expensive
https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/ld41-fenix-flashlight/.

There is this 3xAA bicycle specific light:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X6FXCLN

Someone selling a NOS HL-EL530:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cateye-opticube-hl-el530-cycling-light-/172654249234

There's also the option of powering a light with an external battery
pack made up of AA cells rather than Li-Ion cells. For example,
http://www.herrmans.eu/start-english/products?familyId=2208 will run
on a 6-12V pack. But again, alkaline batteries will leave something to
be desired.

I never saw the need to make a battery holder for AA. 18650 Li-Ion cells
pack so much punch that four or eight of them provide enough hours even
for a really bright 1000 lumen light. If I did longer treks I'd invest
in a hub dynamo or a solar cell and build an MPPT converter.

On the road bike the battery ride in the right pannier (but only until
the next mod) and on the MTB in an ABS box that can take rock hits.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/