Old May 11th 17, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Shimano Headset

On 2017-05-10 16:00, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Joerg wrote:

Even if it could in theory just feel the
part that is adjustable - you can almost
always ruck it back and forth, just a bit
but nonetheless.

Yes, but that sliver is much smaller than
with a regular sized fixed wrench.

Perhaps the size of the nut is of
importance here.

For example, with adjustable wrenches when you
pull a small item it sometimes happens that
item gets tilted and stuck in the wrench.
This never happened to me with the fixed sizes.

Then you seriously need a better quality adjustable wrench. Or not use it.

But it is logical that adjustable wrenches pull
tighter so at some level of quality and
carefull work they should surpass
anything fixed...

In practice, on a typical bike. Say 8 and 10 mm
for details. 13 for the saddle and 14 or 15 for
the dome nuts. If you leave any normal person
with this bike and fixed keys the work will be
many times as good and much faster. Remember,
it is not just pulling, it is also HOLDING
while pulling at the same time.

For those I'd never use adjustable. I did a mod to the MTB yesterday and
everything was less than the equivalent of about 14mm. When it comes to
very recalcitrant bottom brackets that have been in there for years or
decades that quickly becomes another story. There a high-quality
adjustable wrench set very snugly can win the day.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/