Old May 12th 17, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Shimano Headset

On 2017-05-12 08:23, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 10:06:04 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote: Snipped
But then, to one who habitually uses a nail and a rock as a chain
tool the use of proper tools is probably a mystery.

Try to differentiate between an outdoors emergency situation and
the workshop in the garage. It's not that difficult.

- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Which is hy mose of us carry a small tool repair kit that includes a
chain-breaker.

Most? Most cyclists don't even carry a first aid kit and that is way
more important than a chain breaker tool. I have used mine multiple
times. Never for myself.

Still debating with myself whether to schlepp the CPR mask. It's light
but adds volume.

... That way a broken chain isn't an ememrgency and a
repair only takes a few seconds. After all seconds count when you're
beig stalked by mountain lions or other hungry critters doesn't it?
For someone who either breaks chains a lot or often comes across
people with a broken chain (bother very rare where I ride even on the
technical trails) it ONLY makes sense to have a chain breaker and
spare link(s)and quick-link WITH YOU.

I usually only carry tools where there is hardly any alternative. For
breaking a chain there is.

To be honest using a rock and rusty nail to repair a chain in the
field sounds like something an armchair bicyclist would think up.
Such a repaired chain would most likely fail again after only a short
distance.

So why did they never fail?

... Believe it or not there's good reasons why chain breakers
are used to fix a chain.

I might get one of those. One of these days, as grandpa Kettle would
have said. If I find a really tiny one on sale for a good price.

I might even consider a new headset for the road bike. Maybe :-)

When was the last time you needed a CPR mask? When was the last time you needed a chain tool? Hmmm. Seems to be an easy choice, no?

If you find a lifeless person on the trail -- in the middle of nowhere with the mountain lions circling -- remember that you will have to do compressions until the helicopter arrives. Now consider this: http://jaha.ahajournals.org/content/5/3/e002819 You're probably better off sitting down and writing a condolence letter.

OR, you could get a super light-weight AED (assuming the dead guy had V-fib and wasn't totally dead). http://www.aed.com/philips-heartstar...FVJbfgodvGkHNQ I think Nashbar has one that comes in a seat pack. You could also get one of these: https://ideasinspiringinnovation.fil...ce_kenya-2.jpg

Plus, if you witness a riding companion going down and dying, you can just do compressions these days -- which is kind of mind-boggling. http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...00005253422101 https://lifeinthefastlane.com/ccc/compression-only-cpr/

Or, you can choose to ride with companions who do not have communicable diseases and on whose mouths you are not afraid to perform mouth-to-mouth, obviating the need for a special mask. Ride with some of those women from Muzi's body-paint link.

-- Jay Beattie.