Old May 13th 17, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Shimano Headset

On 2017-05-12 13:38, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

OR, you could get a super light-weight AED (assuming the dead guy
had V-fib and wasn't totally dead).
http://www.aed.com/philips-heartstar...FVJbfgodvGkHNQ

I think Nashbar has one that comes in a seat pack. You could also get
one of these:
https://ideasinspiringinnovation.fil...ce_kenya-2.jpg

Plus, if you witness a riding companion going down and dying, you
can just do compressions these days -- which is kind of
mind-boggling.
http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056...00005253422101
https://lifeinthefastlane.com/ccc/compression-only-cpr/

Or, you can choose to ride with companions who do not have
communicable diseases and on whose mouths you are not afraid to
perform mouth-to-mouth, obviating the need for a special mask.
Ride with some of those women from Muzi's body-paint link.

You can always rip a plastic bag which I always have on the bike
and use that as shield. However, a CPR mask provide a much more
effective air passage way. Take a look at one if you never have so
far. They have them at fire stations.

We just had a case here where a very healthy and trim looking
runner collapsed on a MUP and the docs later said that without
strangers administering CPR she'd be gone now.

I did CPR on hundreds of people over six years of working ambulance,
most with a ventilator of one type or another (demand valve/Hope/Ambu
bag) except sometimes mouth to mouth on babies. Survival rate after
(like I said) an unwitnesssed event was really low. Doing manual
compression for more than half an hour is exhausting and, again,
usually unavailing outside an ER where you can correct blood
chemistry and place an ET tube.

Half an hour is a long time. If in the boonies where response times are
that long one can only hope that the person's heart springs back into
action after a while. One instructor said "If she slaps you in the face
you know her pulse is back" :-)

Masks and simple airways (as opposed to an ET tube) and
mouth-to-mouth all have the same problem -- they can put a lot of air
into the stomach. One thing good about a mask is that it prevents
patients from vomiting into your mouth -- although if you do CPR and
ventilation enough, you know when the vomit is coming. With a long
transport doing CPR with a simple airway, vomit is inevitable -- and
thus all ambulances had suction machines, unlike guys on bikes.

Witnessed heart attacks are a whole other thing and survival rate is
higher with CPR. Finding some guy dead on the trail . . . not so
much.

BTW, you may get a better seal with your own lips than a mask,
although my only experience on adults is with a doll. Resusci Annie
was super hot!
https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/i...da641c0270.jpg

Oh yeah :-)

Ours were much more bland.

Annie, wake up! Annie . . . I got my advanced first-aid and CPR card
when I was 16 and did my first CPR at 16. That's all you needed to
work ambulance back then -- CPR and advanced first-aid. You also
needed to be 18, but the guy who owned the company was a family
friend and was happy to let me work. My first CPR was on a guy who
was practically in rigor, but my boss wanted me to do CPR because he
knew the family and wanted to give them hope. Very odd. The hospital
was ****ed off at us. It was basically a removal -- something I did
for a job a few years later.

I also remember the exact moment I decided I did not want to be a
doctor -- doing CPR on a baby and recalling the relief I felt when
handing the baby off to an ER doctor. I had a soft spot for babies. I
was much more accustomed to adults dying off.

I can't imagine doing ambulance work for long, or work in the accident
surgery department where my wife worked many years.

AFAIR the worst CPR our last instructor mentioned was in a suicide case.

I just want to be prepared in case I come upon someone where the heart
stopped for some reason. Never had to so far but who knows.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/