Old December 3rd 17, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Chain Reaction closes Los Altos store.

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 1:06:52 PM UTC-8, sms wrote:
I was just in Los Altos today and noticed that Chain Reaction is gone.
This is the store owned by Steve and Mike Jacubowsky--Mike used to post
in this group. Their Redwood City store is still open.

I was surprised to see it gone. That store was located in an area where
people have high disposable incomes, and was the only Trek dealer in the
area. They said that parking and rent were issues. The space is still
empty and they closed about 2.5 months ago, so no one is a rush to rent
it. That shopping center can get very crowded because there is a popular
Trader Joe's and a popular produce store, and an unpopular Rite Aid
store. Also there's both a Starbucks and a Peet's coffee.

I never bought a bicycle from them, my only Trek is a tandem and when I
bought it Chain Reaction didn't have the size I needed in stock, even
though they were cheaper than the place I ended up buying it from. For
all the other bicycles we've bought in the past 25 years or so Trek did
not have any models that met our needs, and Chain Reaction is a
Trek-only store. But I know a lot of people who bought expensive
carbon-fiber bicycles from them, one multiple times after the
carbon-fiber frame broke. They were a very well thought-of shop for Trek
buyers.

Trek has a bike for everything. https://www.trekbikes.com/ They even have bike-packing bikes. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey

Not that you have to buy Trek (particularly if you're an anti-American communist), but I'm surprised you couldn't find something that suited your needs. Bike Gallery has a mind-boggling variety of bikes. https://www.bikegallery.com/ That's where I got my Emonda via Trek directly because I know the guys in legal. Shameless plug: Bike Gallery.

The Yelp post indicates Mike got squeezed on rent and parking. I'm sure he also go hit by the downturn in the bike market -- which, I am told, hit all the retailers regardless of brand.

-- Jay Beattie.