Old April 24th 18, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default old combination spanner

John B. wrote:
:On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 03:10:35 +0200, Emanuel Berg
:wrote:

:I have an old combination spanner which on its
:closed/ring side has an opening that has six,
:and not twelve sides as we are used to.
:
:Safe for clearance, are there any plus and
:minuses to this type of tool as compared to the
:"12s"?

:Generally speaking 6 sided wrenches are either the cheap wrenches or
:those designed for really high loads. High loading as the 6 sides fit
:the hexagon bolt head or nut more closely and cheaper because the
:broach used to make the 6 sided hole are cheaper to make.

I was recently looking at real wrenches recently, and 12 point
combination wrenches are much cheaper than 6 points. That's from
real made in the USA brands. I don't know if that's demand, or a
result of production costs.

--
sig 66