Old March 20th 18, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Bicycle bottle diameters, why different?

On 2018-03-20 12:45, sms wrote:
On 3/20/2018 10:58 AM, Joerg wrote:
Just ordered a bottle from Stansport. It is nice but much smaller in
diameter than my California Bike Gear bottle which is a snug fit. So
the Stansport bottle rattles around in there.

Why can't they agree on one standard diameter? In the electronics
industry we got that licked decades ago.

Any tricks how to adapt to both without bending the cage back and forth?

A standard bicycle water bottle is 2.875" (73 mm).

The Stansport is 2.820" (71.5mm) and the Cal Bike Gear is 2.885"
(73.3mm). Even worse is that the indentation ring is off by about
0.300". How can this happen? In medical, aerospace or other electronics
we'd get flogged for that.

There are cages available for larger bottles. I have the best large cage
on a couple of bicycles. It means one bottle instead of two. It's also
extremely secure. It's item #1 on my page at
http://tinyurl.com/notatlbs. There is also a cage for a growler (#3).

Then I'd have another boutique solution, new bottles and all that. I was
hoping the bicycle industry would have agree to a bottle standard but
that hope was just dashed, like many others.

I recently saw adjustable diameter cages that us a rubber strap, at
Target and Walmart. Secure, but time consuming to get the bottle in and
out.

I can also wrap some sort of bungee cord around it, hobo-style. However,
that gets old and the bottle won't go back in easily without pushing the
bungee down.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/