Old November 13th 18, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Pressures of WTB Horizon 650Bx47 tires

On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 6:29:05 PM UTC, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Has anyone a pointer to a table of pressures for such a tire? Barring that, a formula for their calculation. The tires have to carry a load of about 100 Kg.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

A tyre 47mm wide on a suitable rim would probably work around 2.5-3.0 bar. For comfort, I'd start on the low end and try to measure when a rim drop of about 15% of tyre diameter. I rode 60mm wide tyres with more than 100kg load (my own 95kg and 35kg of load at times) on 2 bar and down to 1.5 bar for years, and currently inflate them to about 2.4 bar and ride them down to 2.1 bar because the roads hereabouts have become worse over that period; the important consideration is not to create a fishbite and shortly a fall through a pothole.

In general, it is near-iimpossible to destroy the sidewalls of modern balloons through reasonable under inflation, so if your roads are good, start at the low-end of the spread I give and decide where you want to inflate empirically by steps and test-rides, first lower, then higher.

Andre Jute
Tyres are extremely frustrating for people with rational minds who believe everything should answer to a neat algorithm