Old February 3rd 21, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Newest Campagnolo engineering

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 10:33:48 AM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 10:18:59 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/3/2021 12:43 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 3 februari 2021 om 17:06:28 UTC+1 schreef jbeattie:

I wonder what Tom means by "that sort of programmability." The Archer product is just some sort of motor pulling a cable and not moving a derailleur. You can reprogram the Di2 firmware in 10sp shifters to shift 11sp, but the RD mechanism is not "re-programmable" AFAIK. It is a worm-drive system, and probably (I don't know this) the shift jumps are dependent on the internal cog/drive/motor. Its a hardware issue and not a software issue.

-- Jay Beattie.

No it not a hardware issue. There is a DC motor/gearbox in the rear and front derailleur with an encoder. You can move the RD any amount by just telling him to move a x number of encoder pulses per click of your shifter switch. That is basic stuff in my world of positioning at work.
I still plan to take my RD apart that got broken last year to show what is inside.

I'll be interested in seeing that. (And I agree about the motor and
encoder.)

Learn by destroying . . . or just destroying. If the motor works, this kid probably just failed to reset his uber-expensive RD after a crash. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsPk...lsOfMarcoVlogs

Note: https://fitwerx.com/converting-shima...2-to-11-speed/ The 6770 RD will not "recognize" 11sp shift command (?), but the shifters are upgradeable to 11sp. Hmm.

-- Jay Beattie.

I couldn't get any further than him using pliers for everything.