Old February 5th 21, 09:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Default Newest Campagnolo engineering

Op vrijdag 5 februari 2021 om 22:11:47 UTC+1 schreef :
On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 5:26:39 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 10:45:52 AM UTC-8, wrote:
Op woensdag 3 februari 2021 om 19:33:48 UTC+1 schreef jbeattie:
On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 10:18:59 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/3/2021 12:43 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op woensdag 3 februari 2021 om 17:06:28 UTC+1 schreef jbeattie:

I wonder what Tom means by "that sort of programmability." The Archer product is just some sort of motor pulling a cable and not moving a derailleur. You can reprogram the Di2 firmware in 10sp shifters to shift 11sp, but the RD mechanism is not "re-programmable" AFAIK. It is a worm-drive system, and probably (I don't know this) the shift jumps are dependent on the internal cog/drive/motor. Its a hardware issue and not a software issue.

-- Jay Beattie.

No it not a hardware issue. There is a DC motor/gearbox in the rear and front derailleur with an encoder. You can move the RD any amount by just telling him to move a x number of encoder pulses per click of your shifter switch. That is basic stuff in my world of positioning at work.
I still plan to take my RD apart that got broken last year to show what is inside.
I'll be interested in seeing that. (And I agree about the motor and
encoder.)
Learn by destroying . . . or just destroying. If the motor works, this kid probably just failed to reset his uber-expensive RD after a crash. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsPk...lsOfMarcoVlogs
Mine is really broken because it ended up in the spokes twice. Every lever in the RD is deformed, but the motor still works. Start watching from 6.10 min on.

Note: https://fitwerx.com/converting-shima...2-to-11-speed/ The 6770 RD will not "recognize" 11sp shift command (?), but the shifters are upgradeable to 11sp. Hmm.
Indeed.

Lou

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/s...ura-ace-r9200/ Not surprising. This clearly will not talk to your wired RD.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay, there was a YouTube video about someone pulling a 9100 rear derailleur apart and it didn't look like a worm drive. It looked like small normal gears working a lever. I don't understand Lou's claim about being able to program a 7970 (is that the number of the first generation 10 speed?) since you cannot connect a shifter to a either 11 speed derailleurs since the cables are completely different. The 10 speed rear derailleur cannot be coxed into shifting 11 speeds as far as I know.

My claim doesn't apply to systems using a different protocols, but as far as I know only the first generation of DA is odd ball. All the other systems are simple CAN bus systems. The shifters only send simple messages over the CAN bus, 'RDup, RDdown, FDup, FDdown'. These messages are interpreted by the controller in the RD or FD and result in a movement of the motor of a certain amounts of motor pulses. Simple change the firmware and the commands of the shifter will be interpreted differently.

What I was talking about is that you should be able to program the rear deraileur into shifting any number of gears with any spacing you like since there is really only two spacings - 7-8-9-10 and 11-12-13-14. The programming of the shifter only would be the maximum number of shifts. All of this is elementary programming.

That is what I said.

I have been watching my shifting very closely and I simply cannot see any use for more than 9 gears and for the majority of riders who are on flat ground 8 is more than enough. This of course does not count for racers who are now attempting to maintain a very high cadence for very long periods of time. I don't believe that you or I would gain anything of worth by spinning like a sewing machine.

More gears is always better. You can use that for more range or smaller steps between gears. I used my cross bike on the road today with a 11 speed 11/32 cassette, compared to my gravel bike I used yesterday with a 11 speed 14/28 cassette it sucked.

Lou