Old August 6th 19, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Handebar broke off - nasty cash

On 2019-08-05 13:36, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 1:03:30 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

Yes and no. I've broken steel pedal spindles catastrophically.
Spokes go all at once. Steel fasteners snap -- axles, too. Lots of
steel things will snap, including bars after enough high energy
fatigue cycles.

-- Jay Beattie.

Cast steel will fail suddenly but with any kind of pipe structure that's
rare.

I broke a Look steel pedal spindle on a couple of occasions. Had
steel saddle rails break off and steel spokes break in one swell
foop. I have seen steel bicycle frames fail suddenly and steel bars
suddenly bend upon hitting a pothole.

A pothole can be like an accident, like hitting an object.

Nothing is permanent in this world so I got used to it.

However, one should seek the more permanent stuff versus the less than
permanent stuff. It's like with cars. Japanese ones are among the best
but even they break down. My wife's Toyota developed a steering rack
leak afer 23 years. Unbelievable. Only 23 years. $940 later it's all
fixed. At least it didn't fail on the road, just very gradually. My
Mitsubishi is 22 years and, nada. Not even a dome light has had the
audacity to burn out. I sure wish bicycle manufacturers would learn
about that level of quality.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Maybe you should use the tires and other components these guys use?

Well, I do have an MTB steel handlebar on the road bike now. Also MTB
pedals (for years).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_IFoSKTl1Y

I'm sure the trails in your area are not as knarly as whatthese guys are riding over.

That's steep but not gnarly at all. Gnarly to me means full of ruts, big
rocks and stuff. Things where you can get really hurt in a crash. Here
is one of our trails and that is gnarly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y38JzV-ueXI

People have died on that one. Went off the cliff edge which doesn't look
dangerous but the grease brush doesn't hold anyhting and afterwards it's
an almost vertical fall (onto rocks).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/