Old August 7th 19, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Handebar broke off - nasty cash

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 4:55:14 PM UTC-4, Joerg
On 2019-08-05 13:36, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 1:03:30 PM UTC-7,
jbeattie wrote:

Yes and no. I've broken steel pedal spindles
catastrophically. Spokes go all at once. Steel
fasteners snap -- axles, too. Lots of steel things
will snap, including bars after enough high energy
fatigue cycles.

-- Jay Beattie.

Cast steel will fail suddenly but with any kind of
pipe structure that's rare.

I broke a Look steel pedal spindle on a couple of
occasions. Had steel saddle rails break off and
steel spokes break in one swell foop. I have seen
steel bicycle frames fail suddenly and steel bars
suddenly bend upon hitting a pothole.

A pothole can be like an accident, like hitting an
object.

Nothing is permanent in this world so I got used to
it.

However, one should seek the more permanent stuff
versus the less than permanent stuff. It's like with
cars. Japanese ones are among the best but even they
break down. My wife's Toyota developed a steering rack
leak afer 23 years. Unbelievable. Only 23 years. $940
later it's all fixed. At least it didn't fail on the
road, just very gradually. My Mitsubishi is 22 years
and, nada. Not even a dome light has had the audacity
to burn out. I sure wish bicycle manufacturers would
learn about that level of quality.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Maybe you should use the tires and other components
these guys use?

Well, I do have an MTB steel handlebar on the road bike
now. Also MTB pedals (for years).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_IFoSKTl1Y

I'm sure the trails in your area are not as knarly as
whatthese guys are riding over.

That's steep but not gnarly at all. Gnarly to me means full
of ruts, big rocks and stuff. Things where you can get
really hurt in a crash. Here is one of our trails and that
is gnarly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y38JzV-ueXI

People have died on that one. Went off the cliff edge
which doesn't look dangerous but the grease brush doesn't
hold anyhting and afterwards it's an almost vertical fall
(onto rocks).

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Did you watch the ENTIRE video?

Yes.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Well then you must have seen them riding over rock strewn
sections of trails, jumping over some sections and landing on
rocks and doing all that whilst riding a high rate of speed.
Looking at the two videos your clip does NOT compare at all to
the route those guys took in the video I posted the link to.

Here we disagree.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Try watching this one. It's the same race. 4:32, 5:30, 5:54, 6:10+,
7:00, 7:28, 9:46+, 10:10, 11:05, 11:22, 13:20, 13:38+, 13:55, 19:15 -
19:25+, and so on. Plus they're riding that course at speed not just
picking their way through it.

I wonder how the tires and the rest of the bikes make it through such
a punishing course.

Please post the link you are referring to. Of course there will be more
gnarly tracks in other areas of the world but 4:32min in your original
link looks like a smooth access road.

On the Darrington Trail (my link) some folks blow through the downhill
sections like crazy. I had the chain slap too much and come off on one,
stopped to fix it several feet to the side of the trail, and a guy
literally flew by and rather close to me. He was completely airborne,
insane. I don't ride like that.

These trails are hard on the bike and it is prudent to carry a full tool
kit. Stuff comes loose all the time. Sometimes the tires don't hold up.
I've had a blow-out where a large chunk of rubber went awol and I had to
hike-a-bike for six miles.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pltY5vS-aOY

After 30:00min it has some "gnarl" to it but not more than our
Darrington Trail or the route Lotus-Folsom (South Fork Trail). _This_ is
what I'd call gnarly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFjK_3i-NHQ

Kind of typical of the ski resort trails around here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SvgfpXTr4I Ouch.

-- Jay Beattie.