Old August 19th 19, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Replacing a lost toolkit

Joy Beeson writes:

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 18:22:20 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

In my case: pocket knife, mosquito repellent sachets, small pliers (4"
channel lock), folding money ($5 wrapped around the spare tube), shower
cap to put on the saddle when bike is left in the rain, a few feet of so
of nylon cord, Park mt-1. I think I'll throw a lighter in there, just to be
completely boy scout.

I used the pliers in my wallet once. But I really, really needed them
that once. (In my wallet? I saw a really cute multi-tool really
cheap and bought it just because. I pinned it into the
folding-scissor pocket of my wallet so I wouldn't lose it on the way
home, and never got around to putting it someplace else.)

I never go *anywhere* without a pocket knife, especially my own back
yard. The knife in the pocket of my grubbies has an inch of
serrations good for cutting woody weeds.

I do refrain from weighting the pockets of my Sunday dresses with a
pocket knife, but being a member of the kitchen committee, I know
where we keep the good knives. And there's a single-edge razor blade
in the sewing kit in my pocket-size wallet.

Perhaps I should put a book of matches in a "Pill Pouch" bag and stash
it in my emergency kit.

Without cutting edges and fire we're just really weak apes with high
self esteem and lots of team spirit.

The only thing in there that I've used recently is my sun visor.

I once badly needed the band-aid in my first-aid kit. That was many
years ago.

(Ever try to open a toolkit with one hand held high above your head?)

I don't remember trying that. I have noticed that the bloody (no,
literally) band-aid packets seem to be much harder to open one handed
than they used to be. Not sure whether that's due to falling standards,
advancing personal decrepitude, or a failure of memory.