Old February 26th 14, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Stephen Harding[_2_]

Default Lights Question: Blinking Best ?

On 2/26/2014 7:57 AM, Bob wrote:

What do most folks do:

Rear Red Light set to Blink
Front White one on Steady

Or,...?

Thanks,
Bob

In Europe (Germany I think), it's illegal to use blinking lights on your
bike. You must use non-blinking ones.

This is backed up by studies (Europeans do a lot more transportation by
bike than Americans) that revealed blinking lights (tail lights) are
more difficult to detect object motion, than with steady lights. You
want motorists to realize there's something moving ahead of them,
[hopefully] producing more caution in their approach.

Of course the batteries of lights in blinking modes last a lot longer,
but I'd recommend if you only use one tail light, run it in steady
rather than blinking modes. I use two tail lights: one steady and one
blinking, which also serves as a backup in case the primary tail light
goes out.

I think for headlights there is no question: you need a steady beam.

SMH