Old June 12th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides

Default we are putting a lot s*** into it

Kevan Smith wrote:

In article ,
Mark Hickey wrote:

Which explains the unanimous vote by the Senate to NOT follow the
Kyoto protocol, right? 'Cuz they're all right wing corporate hacks.

From my vantage, that's fairly accurate. Those in the Senate you would
call "liberal" are still conservative to me.

I have no problem believing that at all, Kevan... ;-)

In fact, I view _you_ as a
very far right wacko (but I'd buy one of your frames). But there's no
question that regardless of party or professed ideology, all in the
Senate are corporate whores. Corporations have the best government their
money can buy.

I'm not sure it's "all"... I'm idealistic enough to want to believe
that there are still career polititians who are serving for the sake
of serving. And I'd disagree with the premise that it's entirely
corporations that hold sway over our elected officials - it's also a
lot of special interest groups (including the evil corporations, of
course).

I think the whole problem IS the concept of a "career polititian".
The founding fathers had a concept of a government body made up by
those wealthy enough to be able to serve without needing to be paid
(and presumably, therefore much more immune to influence). And the
rest of the model was that they'd serve a short while and then retire
voluntarily.

While that sounds archaic and totally non-PC today, it would have some
serious advantages. For example, like him or hate him, it's hard to
imagine Gov. Arnie Schwarzenegger (not a career polititian by any
means) rolling over for a kickback from anyone. He simply doesn't
need the money.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com