Old March 19th 21, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Replace Shimano 600EX crank set replacement

On 3/18/21 5:48 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/18/2021 4:58 PM, Joerg wrote:
My chain rings are through again but replacements have
become expensive. It's now much cheaper to buy a simple
crank set of another brand. Preferably steel because
aluminum wears so fast. What I have is:

Shimano 600EX, 52/42T, bottom bracket is 116mm JIS taper.

What I'd like to replace it with is this Vuelta Corsa set:

https://smile.amazon.com/Vuelta-8150...dp/B0081UV2NU/

Only 50T which is kind of ok but the 32T lower will move me
up hills much better. Getting old, and all that sort of
thing. However, says it's for 110mm BB and I wonder if my
chain line would go out of whack. I'll ask on Amazon as well
but usually there aren't good answers that way.

My shifters are simple friction levers and the front DR cage
looks tall enough to handle the 50/32 step.

Do you guys think this would work?

600EX front changer is stretched for 50x32.Â* Chain will drag on the cage
connector in half the cross gears. If you can adjust to that then yes.

Yes, I am used to having to trim all the time. Not a big deal because
it's friction shifters and once I am down in the flatlands I rarely
shift. I like a large gear range because of some really steep hills
where I live.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/