Old April 5th 21, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Safety inflation

On 4/5/2021 12:21 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, April 4, 2021 at 4:38:58 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/4/2021 2:00 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op zondag 4 april 2021 om 18:16:52 UTC+2 schreef Frank Krygowski:
On 4/4/2021 10:34 AM, jbeattie wrote:

I'm not yelling at you although I do get tired of the incessant "safety inflation" rant when people buy something that makes it easier for them to ride...

I think "safety inflation" is real. It applies not only to bicycles,
it's pervasive in modern American society; I can probably give dozens of
examples. I own books on related topics.

But it certainly does apply to bicycles and bicycling, in many ways that
have nothing to do with making it easier to ride. Again, I can give
examples, although you can certainly think of them yourself.

I don't know why this observation is so distasteful to you.

--
- Frank Krygowski

As someone who is perfectly OK with my dynohub light system I can understand that people have different needs. Bad night vision, climbs, down hills, lot of light distraction. As long as they don't blind other road users I don't mind other people use different and/or mor powerfull light systems. Maybe you should do the same.

Lou, I have never said I mind anybody using systems other than mine, IF
they don't dazzle other road users.

What I mind is people saying my system or similar systems can't be any
good. Jay mocks them as "mood lights" good only for slow level riding.
Scharf claims road cyclists get injured by tree branches due to StVZO
standards, or claims that he can't see when riding at low speed. Those
claims are false, and that's what I'm saying.

If you're complaining about intolerance, you're complaining about the
wrong people.

How do you mock a light? ... I call my LUXOS a mood light...

That's one way.

I'm not prescribing a light for anyone. People can buy whatever light they want, so long as they don't shine it in my eyes. Just don't tell me that my dyno is all I need. How would you even know what I need?

I'm saying the same things, but from the opposite side of the fence.

Don't me people need 800 lumens, or dyno systems are good only for slow
speed flatlanders or for riding under streetlights, don't tell me road
riders will get concussions from tree branches if they have beams with
proper cut-offs, or that it's foolish to ride without a blinking headlight.

(Yes, I know some of those statements came from SMS or Tom instead of you.)

--
- Frank Krygowski