Old April 5th 21, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Douglas Vector

On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 1:11:10 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 12:03:28 PM UTC-7, wrote:
The one thing holding up the construction of the Vector is the headset. This should be delivered this afternoon. I have an offer for the Emonda and if that goes I can move the Felt over onto that rack until the parts come in to finish it.

With the workstand empty I can put the Douglas together. I have all of the parts Necessary. The handlebar tape is still on the handlebars including the 10 speed levers. I have the marker and saw to cut the Look threadless steering tube down to the correct size. I have the spacer that would be inserted so that it is a small amount adjustable. I have the bolt on to maintain a straight cut. And the cutter that is normally used on an aluminum steering tube which I can use to mark a perfectly straight marking. When things start coming together it seem seems to be all at once.

After building all of these bikes lately I have come to the conclusion that perhaps Italian threads are better. With British threads the power side can tighten up so much that it requires a dead blow hammer to loosen. In the case of the Italian threads that side can loosen but all it takes is a bit of Locktite thread locking solution to keep it tight. Then you can easily break it without perhaps ruining the cup socket. On the previous Time I had to lock the cup in a vice because it had stuck so tightly that the socket tore out the locks No big deal I suppose since the bearing cups are cheap, but it is time lost for getting parts. The Eddy Merckx only needs time on the workstand to complete. The Chain and the handlebar tape and adjusting the Front Derailleur to the proper position.

There is a weird locking clip on the power side of the Campy crankset. This locks the bearing into the cup I suppose in case the center locking screw which ALSO turns the "normal way" were to come unscrewed. I think that this changed sides on the newer 11 speed crankset so that it won't loosen.

Campy is art and Shimano is engineering. Given the choice I prefer art. After all, this is a bicycle and not a supersonic bomber.

I thought you had a Douglas Fusion. What is a Vector? BTW, I've never had a problem unscrewing an English/ISO BB. I've had italian BBs unscrew on me.. If given the choice, it will always be ISO.

I have always had problems getting an English BB off but I used to think that better than having an Italian BB come off by itself. Perhaps my latest revelation has to do with my memory but I did have Locktite up on the shelf and suspect that I used to use it on Italian threaded BB's. I suspect I never needed it on Italian square taper BB's I still have 4 or 5 of them on the shelf. 3 of them are Record.

No, the Douglas is a Vector It has both a carbon B-stay and carbon chain stays. I was a little worried that you couldn't fit a 28 mm tire in but I tried one and it fit fine.