Old March 14th 11, 11:35 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

Default Even Though... (Recumbents)

On 3/14/2011 5:42 AM, Peter Clinch wrote:
On 13/03/11 19:34, Jeff wrote:
Even though I have built a few experimental recumbents, I stil worry
about
visibility issues in traffic. Seems to me a driver just may not notice a
flag as much as a person at eye-level height. Your thuoghts?

There are 'bents and there are 'bents. Mine (an HP Vel Streetmachine)
has the seat at about the same height as a car seat. That actually makes
it easier to get eye-contact with most drivers in close traffic.

But the real keys in traffic are being in predictable places. You can be
on a normal upright bike in traffic and if you're between trucks, buses
and vans you'll be no better off than a lowracer among cars, yet that's
not a kiss-of-death. You make sure you go in places that are in sight
and you make sure you proceed in a predictable fashion. Same on /any/ bike.

I an several others have ridden lowracers in the City of Chicago, and I
am aware of some who have ridden lowracers or semi-lowracers in London.

Never bothered with a flag on mine. Only recall one time I wasn't seen,
and that's because the chap didn't look (and I /saw/ him not looking). A
quick and loud "*OI*!" soon solved that.

The "you must be nearly invisible down there" is often cited as a
problem for 'bents I've never actually found it to be one. If anything I
get more space, not less.

Drivers can see the paint markings on the road, so any recumbent is tall
enough to see.

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.