Old October 27th 12, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Default helmet

On Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:40:01 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 07:16:02 +0100, Phil W Lee

wrote:

James considered Sat, 27 Oct 2012 10:56:27

+1100 the perfect time to write:

On 27/10/12 08:18, Phil W Lee wrote:

James considered Fri, 26 Oct 2012 16:26:01

+1100 the perfect time to write:

On 26/10/12 16:06, Frank Krygowski wrote:

(Helmets do nothing against rotational

acceleration, and may even exacerbate it.)

Got data?

I've heard helmets are supposed to offer more grip of the road surface

than hair/skin/flesh/bone, but never seen the test results.

Also greater leverage, due to the increased diameter.

And increased risk of contacting the road in the first place - human

reflexes are actually quite good at protecting the head, but do get

beaten by increases in effective size.

It's a bit like running the hurdles with clown shoes on - even the

best hurdler would expect to clatter a few with that kind of handicap.

As I said in a previous reply, I've never damaged a helmet in any

bicycling accident, though I've always worn one and been in numerous

racing accidents and a few training accidents - some of which involved cars.

Nobody said you were guaranteed to bash your foam, just that the

larger size increases the likelihood.

Maybe if they went out and got a job doing something that required a

"hard hat" they'd understand that you do bump your bead/hat more with

the enlarged head/hat.

So common it is not even a matter for discussion in those circles :-)

--

Cheers,

John B.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

an arguement at the core !

BTW, hemets are mandatory in Australia ? WTH cawsed that spasm ?

itslike flouride and water