Old January 11th 17, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default 105-year old sets new record

Doug Landau writes:

On Tuesday, January 10, 2017 at 5:19:11 PM UTC-8, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

On 1/8/2017 7:41 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

On 1/8/2017 12:37 PM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
wrote

Pete, I'm given to understand that is isn't the muscles but growth
along the back of the eyeballs that make them a little stiffer. I see
at about 20" and either side I'm fuzzy. But I can pass the driver's eye
test without glasses though I can't read the large signs above the
freeway and either need glasses or to know where I'm going. And no
comments about you know where I'm going as well.

I am astigmatic, which makes things blurry for me, especially close up. I
easily meet the requirements for driving with uncorrrected vision, but my
spectacles reduce strain, so I drive with them on.

I'm a bit myopic, but I'm not required to use glasses for driving. I
have progressive lenses, and it's sometimes nice to get a clearer view
of the instrument panel by using the glasses.

But I've noticed that my night view of the road is significantly
better with the glasses off. It seems at night, anyway, I lose more
vision acuity by glare & reflections with the glasses lenses than I
gain from the slight refractory correction.

BTW, bike content: I'm happy to use the same glasses for riding, as
opposed to special glasses. And as a bonus, my homebrew mirrors clip
onto these glasses. They're tiny enough I stash one in each bike's
bag. No searching for special specs, the funny hat, the mirror that
won't work without it, etc.

So your night vision on the bike is ok with glasses? What's the
difference?

Hard to say. I'd guess a big part is that when riding the bike at
night, I tend to choose streets and roads with less traffic, so less
oncoming glare from headlights.

And the glasses vs no-glasses difference when driving certainly isn't
a make or break thing. I normally take them off for night driving
only if I'm doing a long drive - say, more than half an hour. In the
city I never bother.

You plainly have better vision than I do, I won't do anything faster
than walking without glasses.

I would like to hear some magic for eliminating foggy
glasses and raindrops when riding, but last time the question came up no
good answers were forthcoming.

I'd like that magic too. I don't recall many fog problems (except
when coming into the house after a cold ride), but raindrops on my
glasses are annoying day or night.

My glasses fog when it's moderately cold out, whenever I stop. Local
humidity from exhalation, I guess. Makes intersections more challenging.

My cycling cap's bill is too short to shield the glasses. My usual
solution is to avoid riding in rain. My next solution is to take off
my glasses. That works for me, but it means I lose my rear view
mirror.

Given some forward velocity I would think a very long bill would be
required.

--

Have you tried a potato?
http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbik...ion-54346.html

I have not. I do have some commercial stuff called "cat crap" that does help.