Old July 3rd 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob Weissman

Default Roof-mounted bike rack: fork mount or whole bike?

In article ,
Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 22:54:45 +0000, Bob Weissman wrote:
I've been using a trunk-mounted strap-on bike rack on my car, but
it doesn't exactly inspire confidence that my beloved bike won't
fall off at freeway speeds.

Largely off-topic, but my bike has survived two Nashville=Milwaukee
round trips (plenty of freeway speeds, and two drives through Chicago) on
a trunk-mounted strap-on rack.

Well, there are a few things happening with my trunk rack which
inspired me to start shopping.

1. The straps twang like guitar strings at freeway speeds, causing a lot
of noise and vibration. The vibration is starting to chip away at the
paint on my trunk lid. Plus it seems to make the bike move around on the
rack's support arms, which makes me nervous.

2. The rubber bolsters which support the bottom of the rack are
disintegrating. I didn't notice this until recently, because the broken
sides are on the inside, hidden against the license plate.

3. There's no way to lock the bike onto the trunk rack, so I'm
uncomfortable leaving it unattended.

- Bob