Old August 1st 17, 06:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Preserving polished aluminum

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 07:22:28 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 11:24:50 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 18:32:36 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jul 2017 17:52:34 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

A KNOCKOUT
https://media.defense.gov/2007/Oct/2...-1234S-008.JPG

At about the end of the internal combustion "fighter" era I was
stationed at a base that was training foreign air force, that we had
given F-51's to, how to fly them. We also had a squadron of T-33'sw
and there was much discussion about which was the better. The jets
were much faster so one of the F-51 pilots challenged the T-33 guys
for a test. Engine start to 10,000 ft. and rather surprisingly, to the
T-33 guys, won the bet.

I'll raise you 3 more engines:
https://www.eaa.org/~/media/images/news/2015-briefing/2015-04-docrollout2-960px.jpg
http://www.warbirdsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/Screen-Shot-2016-05-11-at-9.02.33-PM.jpg
http://www.warbirdsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/Docs-Rollout-06.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU0f4VUDGR0

No turrets :-)

"Doc" also flew at Oshkosh this week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgdEI3-GaAg
(Mostly at beginning and again at end of video).

If the tail number is authentic 44-6972 was in the 9th Bomb Group, at
Tinian Island in 1945 and damaged by another aircraft that crashed on
takeoff.

The Russian MIG pilots in Korea discovered the same thing and had to work out a one high speed pass strategy rather than try a dog fight.

I was in B-29 squadrons, first a bomb squadron and secondly a
reconnaissance squadron. One of the RB-29's was shot down off a
Russian held island just north of the northern most Japanese island. A
couple of MIGS made a firing pass and hit the vertical fin and an
outboard wing tank and the aircraft commander ordered the gunners not
to fire back.

I later made a rather disparaging comment about the "don't fire" order
and a gunner, who I was speaking to, told me that the central fire con
troll system in the B-29 was hard wired for a target speed so much
slower then a passing MIG that if you hit it a miracle had just
happened.
--
Cheers,

John B.