Old August 1st 17, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default How long should caliper brake springs last?

On 8/1/2017 12:42 AM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 18:29:23 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 6:10:42 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 14:50:53 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 7/27/2017 6:40 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 09:57:44 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 7/27/2017 7:08 AM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

In theory maybe but I've never seen that in real life. Rust is ugly but
in terms of % reduction of cross section of a spring, it's meaningless.

The spring is not rusty. But it pops out with no effort, it's just not
springy anymore. It seems to be fatigued.

The brake sets are cleaned and lubed. I may still order some springs to
use these brakes on another road bike which has lower quality brakes. If
I were in Wisconsin, I'm sure that AMuzi would have the springs in
stock, but the shops in Silicon Valley have little interest in stocking
and selling little parts like this.

Probably because no one but you ever wanted to buy any :-(

Yet they are available online, so clearly someone has wanted them, and
there are instructions online that refer to the need to replace weak
springs.

AMuzi shows them he http://www.yellowjersey.org/dcbitz.html

So what? The point was to respond to your statement that, "the shops
in Silicon Valley have little interest in stocking and selling little
parts like this", and I would bet money on my statement that it was
that "Probably because no one but you ever wanted to buy any".

The argument has nothing to do with what is available on line or what
Andrew stocks, but what the demand is in Silicon Valley".

You've been pretty snippy lately John. Is it your time of the month?

Well, I admit that I have very little time for SMS, but I still
contend that if sufficient people were to walk into Silicon Valley
bicycle shops wanting replacement brake springs that even a
Californian would be able to figure out that there was a market for
brake springs and would stock them.

Riders do indeed replace brake springs as part of
clean/shine/polish/wax and throw out rusted bits. A bicycle
brake spring can't travel beyond elastic limits unless it is
removed from the brake:

https://www.britannica.com/science/elastic-limit

Which Frank noted earlier.

--