Old September 4th 17, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Jobst

On Sunday, September 3, 2017 at 4:02:33 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/3/2017 2:32 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/2/2017 6:30 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/2/2017 4:49 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per :
High numbers of deaths from hospital acquired infections
really only tells you that the general population is not
very healthy.

And in the USA that is primarily from a large illegal and
legal immigrant population that has arrived from
countries that do not have particularly good health.

How about antibiotic-resistant strains of bacteria like
MERSA?

That's the fault of the liberals. Tom will explain how.

He may well, but it's an equal-time offense.

One of our customers heads up the antibiotic abuse research section at
Inst. Pasteur in France. He corroborates a Milwaukee GP's complaint that
mothers bring in children with viruses and insist on antibiotics right
now. No prescription = 'bad doctor', a label which can devastate a
clinic's practice as the mothers all gossip. Similar problem with
opiates for every little thing. Without an educated populace the
gatekeepers are powerless and wishing for an educated population is a
fool's dream. And here we are.

I've thought about that when battling my annual upper respiratory
maladies. Without going into too much detail, it's been a recurring
problem, sometimes getting quite bad. After a couple years of
recurrences, my physician became very quick to prescribe antibiotics for
me, even though there's been doubt about bacteria vs. virus vs. allergy.

As you've said, any particular physician experiences a downside to
saying "no" when antibiotics are requested. And for the particular
physician, there really isn't an upside to saying "no" - he gets no
bonus points. This means that even in the absence of pleading, if
there's some small chance antibiotics might work, he may as well
prescribe them.

The good news is this problem is temporary. Once the bacteria adapt
sufficiently, they'll reduce our population density to the point where
contagion is much less of an issue. Nobody will worry much about
over-prescribed antibiotics, or lots of other modern problems. It'll be
a golden age!

Frank - being immune to antibiotics doesn't mean that the bacteria are any more dangerous to the human body. In fact in many cases the bacteria often become less dangerous.