Old February 26th 06, 10:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default bicycles on the Old Road

Zebee Johnstone wrote -

What the MCC is after is finding out why cyclists behave as they do,
what effect motorcycles have, how they deal with it, what changes they
would like to see...

The old pacific hwy is the preferred route north after Hornsby for cyclists.

The alternative is the shoulder of the F3 and that's not much fun although I
have found it quicker on the couple of times I have tried it (riding up to
Cessnock and back). Boring noisy and full of crap on the shoulder.

In addition there is pretty frequently used time trial course up on Peats
Rdige Road near Calga used monthly by the ATTA folk and less frequently but
in greater numbers for State open cycling races and time trials.

In addition, Northern Sydney Cycling Club use an industrial road off the old
highway called Beaumont Rd as a criterium road race course most Sundays and
the bunchs that ride out of Turramurra Cycling would regard riding up to
Calga and back as their "block". All of that means that its a very popular
road for cyclists.

I'd like to chat in person to cyclists who use the Old Road.

Best contact I can think of is Mark Rowling who owns Turramurra Cycling and
who indidentally races motorcycles - much loved by his cycling customers who
despair at his occasional off on the motor race tracks.

When you are out on a twisty bit of road, do you like to ride in a
bunch (law or no law) or singlefile wheelsucking all the way? Do you
prefer to ride 2 abreast? How do you decide to pick a particular
configuration?

For mine as an occasional user of the road I don't think the bunchs
generally behave any differently for motorcycles - and some of us do or have
ridden both so I would not assume hostility; mutual curiousity would be a
better description. Riding 2 side by side in a lane is lawful for cyclists
throughout Australia.

I have never seen a cycling bunch try to get agressive accross the road -
who do you think would win that confrontation in terms of mass and velocity?
The bunch will hold their lane and their lines and call motorcycles front or
back as they would a car.

Some links that may be useful to you -

http://www.northernsydneycyclingclub...15&Itemi d=29

and

http://www.turramurracyclery.com.au/

best, Andrew (who used to own a vfr 750)