Old February 26th 06, 11:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default bicycles on the Old Road

"Zebee Johnstone" wrote in message
.. .
Long shot, this being melb.bicycles and all, but is there anyone
reading who rides a bicycle on the Old Road?

Well I ride in Melbourne, but I'd guess the sitiation in Sydney is pretty
much the same as on the Kinglake Rd or Reefton Spur on any Sunday.

snip

When you hear a vehicle coming up behind, can you tell it's a motorcycle
reliably?

Yes.

If it is, what's your reaction to it? Does that change if it's a
straight or a corner, right hander or left hander?

Usually ride predictably following my line. Usually not enough time to make
any changes anyhow.

Does it make a difference if you are just out for a ride, or seriously
in a training mindset?

No.

When you are out on a twisty bit of road, do you like to ride in a
bunch (law or no law) or singlefile wheelsucking all the way? Do you
prefer to ride 2 abreast? How do you decide to pick a particular
configuration?

Usually ride single file on winding roads, unless it is a quiet minor road.
Then with friends we might ride in a small 2 abreast bunch.

Do you find that when you are hammering and a motorcycle's coming
doing the same thing that you have to pull in and it disrupts you?
Or do you just figure "the one behind has to pass" and keep your line?

Keep the line

Do you usually get enough time to think about a reaction?

No

Do they pass too close? How close is too close? Have you been cut
off in a corner? Have you been sprayed with bluemetal as someone
apexes in front of you?

When you get GT-wannabes careering past with less than a metre to spare, at
80-120kmh leaned over in the apex of a left hander, with a sudden cracking
roar of a race-tuned illegal exhaust, it trully sucks. I hurl volumes of
silent abuse, and thank God I never took up such a socially obnoxious
pursuit as motorbiking.

Get my drift?

What good experiences have you had with motorcycles out for a fang?

None

Cheers
Peter