Old March 6th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Clark F Morris

Default fewer vehicles out there to feed traffic jams

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 21:44:40 GMT, "George Conklin"
wrote:

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
t...
donquijote1954 wrote:
On Mar 4, 8:33 pm, "George Conklin"
wrote:
I have a dream...that someday buses will not pollute. Actually we
could make it happen now much easier than having all the cars be
replaced with hybrid. Just change the fleet of buses to hydrogen or
some other technologies out there.
We can make it happen with THE REVOLUTION. Coming soon...
Too optimistic. Somebody, somewhere is probably burning coal or oil to
make the electricity to electrolyze the water to make the Hydrogen.
It only really works if the electricity comes from wind, solar, hydro,
or, dare I say it, NUculear (Bush pronunciation).
Bill Baka
Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.-

Only true if less than 7 passengers ride it. And still it means fewer
vehicles out there to feed traffic jams...

Using Mass Transit
The key to mass transit is the word "mass". The more of us who use it,
the more global warming pollution it saves. That's because a bus or
train releases more CO2 into the air than a car, but a bus or train
holds many, many more people and thus keeps all those cars off the
road.

A bus with just 7 passengers is more fuel efficient than the average
car.

How many carpoolers do you see crammed with 7 people?
Reality check?
Bill Baka

These fake comparison compare a full bus with car with only the driver. If
both were full, in transit service they would again be equal. Long-distance
buses, NEVER trains, yield the biggest savings. But no one wants to hear
what works. I know there are many train foamers, no bus foamers.

Ironically, given other statistics, in the rush hour, the bus is
likely to be full over a good portion of the route while the car is
more likely to be single occupant only. In the off peak, the bus
normally is significantly less loaded while the car is more likely to
have more than one person in it.

Long distance buses may have greater fuel savings but that is at the
cost of narrow and cramped seating. As someone who took the Acadian
Lines bus on its journey that was almost twice as long as a car trip,
I can state that the comfort for someone over 6 feet tall is nowhere
near that of a standard Amfleet Corridor car. If Amfleet were to have
3 - 2 seating at a 32 inch seat spacing and no food service, a 5 car
train would probably have the same or slightly more seat miles per
gallon.