Old September 1st 18, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Who is a real cyclist ?

On Saturday, September 1, 2018 at 12:50:51 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 7:57:59 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
Do all the riders in Amsterdam waive at each other?

-- Jay Beattie.

I don't think so, but the funny thing is that when I am on a lonely country road I say hello, nodding my head or raise one or two fingers to the few cyclist I come across. Yesterday just after a corner I came across three cyclist from a bike club from a neighbouring town and just after I recognized their teamshirts and said 'hello' I hear 'helmet'. I am not wearing a helmet when I ride alone on flat terrain, which is becoming rare but people telling me to wear a helmet **** me off. A couple of km later I see an approaching rider also not wearing a helmet so he got my attention. It appeared to be Peter Winnen a former pro rider living nearby (won the Alpe d'Huez stage in the TdF two times). I just said 'Hi Peter' and got in my flow again and set a new PB and fastest time for that day on a Strave segment ;-).

I also will do the two finger waive when I'm out in the country, but I do object to the idea that it is mandatory and that if you do not do it, you are a scowling pretend racer in Lycra. I will also help people who really need help but not try to inject myself into every situation, assuming that the person is incompetent.

Some of my son's friends ended up riding with Peter Sagan in Park City, UT. He hangs out there and half the local cycling community has a selfie with him. Euro pros in the US, however, are pretty rare -- in fact, most any pro.. Ian Boswell down in Bend and of course retired Chris Horner, also in Bend.. I have to content myself with seeing a squirrel or deer.

-- Jay Beattie.