View Single Post
Old September 1st 18, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Who is a real cyclist ?

On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 11:35:29 AM UTC+1, OK wrote:
Probably a homeless guy with depend on two-wheels is the real cyclist in my view. Not guys with riding $5k bike on the bike lane who just use bike for
exercise or fun and these guys never use bike for main transporter.
And next real cyclist would be Dutch and Denmark cyclist using for a main transporter.

Mmm. I'm not homeless, but I gave up the car altogether in 1992 and have cycled everywhere I wanted to go since then.

I don't claim to be a "real cyclist" but I get fed up with assholes who own several automobiles telling me this or that class of cycling is "real cycling".

Here on RBT the underlying assumption is that only those who ride road bikes with thin tyres and drop handlebars to work at not less than 25mph are real cyclists. It's that foolish elitism and its counterproductive presentation (together with the history of the growth of the automobile and the associated infrastructure development) which will forever assure that there will be no mass cycling movement in the States. It's what makes the question of who are "real cyclists" and therefore the natural "spokesmen for bicycles" so important. It's why I have consistently stepped on Krygowski's dumb dream of himself as "a spokesman for bicycles": he's a mindless moron with a bee in his bonnet.

Andre Jute
Recreational cyclist, and proud of it
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home