Old October 18th 04, 07:34 PM
Peter Cole

"dgk" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 07:56:45 -0700, Terry Morse
wrote:

Peter Cole wrote:

"Terry Morse" wrote:

Cycling on the road, as opposed to a stationary bike, induces
vibration, and vibration increases bone density:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/h...ish_343550.htm

If that's true, then mountain biking should be even better.

I suspect that you're right. Mountain biking is much rougher -- even
on a full suspension.

I've noticed that mountain biking tends to break bones. Of course, I
wasn't very good at it.

No, not true! Well, not after the learning curve period, anyway. I've only
broken ribs twice in 7-8 years. Of course there have been many cuts and
bruises, and a few bad cases of poison ivy, but I'm not worried about
osteoporosis! Seriously, I know as many people who have broken bones on the
road as on the trail. I also think trail skills make you a much better
(safer) road rider.