Old September 4th 05, 02:02 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Default butted spokes (?)

wrote:
I'm building a bike for XC races and I'd like it to be reasonably light. I
thought of using butted spokes (my frand told me taht u can save as much as
100grams per wheel). My questions a

You use butted spokes for wheel strength, not weigh savings.

1) does it make any sense to use butted spokes at all?
2) is yes, is there any big difference in their durability (for instance
standard 2.0 stainless steel spokes vs 2.0 - 1.5 - 2.0 spokes) ?
3) what spokes would you reccomend (thickness) and why ?

Use 14/15/14 gauge spokes(2mm/1.8mm/2mm), and lace them inside pulling
for a disc wheel.

Now some data: I weight around 170 lbs, the rim I want to use is mavic 317
DISC, DT hubs, hydro disc brakes, the bike is a hardtail.

Thx in advance for any help.