Old September 15th 07, 11:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole

Default A new use for spokes

jim beam wrote:
wrote:
On Sep 14, 11:50 pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainr...glightSPth.jpg
"'A hand-made gadget by a certain Japanese enthusiast.' Stronglight 49
crankarms with spoked-wheel spider armature, made of thin spokes
(1.2mm diameter), with 51- and 45-tooth Simplex chainrings, on a
custom Toei bike."
http://www.bikecult.com/works/chainring.html
Cheers,
Carl Fogel
Genius!

Now, how many other bike parts would be amenable to replacement with
spokes?

Downtube, for one,

--
Ryan Cousineau /

Well, there was a tri-bike that had a spoke for a down-tube, or maybe
a cable. don't remember the name of the frame.

more evidence of the abysmal engineering schools we have these days.
"engineers" that don't consider torsion in frame design? they probably
don't understand the difference between elasticity and plasticity either.

http://www.slingshotbikes.com/technology/slingpower

"Slingpower"? How appropriate.

Of course it does have a composite element, should be great, infinite
strength & rigidity. Fortunately it's also replaceable.