Old February 28th 19, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Shimano Shifter cable set polymer with crazy number of ferrules

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 4:46:16 PM UTC-6, wrote:
So I use the Shimano polymer shifter set that includes a huge number of ferrules and asorted items to use depending on situation. Well my 6800 group shifts great almost by itself but the shifter cables at the head frays after about year and I put on cables on.

My question is that shimano gives you all these various parts and I assume you don't use them all depends on the situation. In my case a Habanero Ti road with exposed cables. I know the metal ferrule that does into the derailleur barrel adjuster that is the given. I also know there is one used at the shifter exit going out and down under the bar tape and housing. Otherwise I am lost as to what to use other than what works. Should just avoid nylon stuff.

Now the other thought is to simply buy some shimano bulk housing and use the regular die-drawn cable without the polymer coating. I don't want to experiment what works?

Deacon Mark

So I bought a huge roll of Shimano ot-sp41 derailleur housing and Brass 4mm ferrules from Wheels Manufacturing. Put those puppies in and used plain die-drawn stainless steel cables, now if shifts like "butter." From the description I gave you know I am a guitar player too and repair them. Those crazy package deals end up costing more money and take more time to figure out, then they give you cheap plastic ferrules...…….like putting cheap pots on a guitar instead of CTS.

I have used guitar string to work on bikes they can make internally routed cables easier to thread into frames.

Deacon Mark