Old November 4th 12, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default THE CASE FOR A MANDATORY CYCLE HELMET LAW (IN THE UNITED STATESOF AMERICA)

On 11/4/2012 6:48 AM, datakoll wrote:
On Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:13:06 AM UTC-4, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Nov 3, 4:24 pm, Andre Jute wrote:

On Saturday, November 3, 2012 3:56:13 PM UTC, Dieter Britz wrote:

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 08:55:13 -0700, Andre Jute wrote:

THE CASE FOR A MANDATORY CYCLE HELMET LAW

(IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA)

by Andre Jute

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_helmet_laws

According to studies in Australia and New Zealand, there has not

been any reduction in cyclists' deaths that can be attributed to

the introduction of mandatory wearing of helmets. Check the graphs,

there is a gradual reduction in deaths, but with not correlated

with helmet wear.

I can't find a link at the moment, but my son (who must wear a

helmet in Sydney) has found evidence that helmets can even cause

injuries to the neck in falls, where the helmet edge hits the

ground.

I am fortunate in not having to wear a helmet here in Denmark.

I have done so in winter when there is ice on the roads, in case

a car loses control and hits me, but this has never happened,

and this winter I will not wear one - and have a warmer head.

The times when I have slid on ice, I have never hit my head, and

the only injury has been to my (expensive) jacket from sliding

along the road.

--

Dieter Britz

Hello, Dieter: That's why the headline to my post is

THE CASE FOR A MANDATORY CYCLE HELMET LAW

(IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA)

The numbers make an American case. The situation in Europe is different. Probably in Australia and New Zealand too. But there is no doubt in my mind that the New York study directs the unbiased analyst towards the conclusion that a compulsory helmet law in the States will save lives.

I've fallen on ice and whacked my head and messed up my face. I got

to spend the afternoon at a plastic surgeon's office -- because of my

frameless glasses, which got driven in to my face.

The difference between PDX and Denmark is that my hilly route home

gains more elevation than the highest peak in Denmark by twice.

Descending sled runs even on studs warrants wearing a helmet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGVA-x3SEnU

-- Jay Beattie.

sssssssssss

Jay, send us an elevation profile ? how's the new cannon frame ?

Gene, this is not in Kansas any mo
http://www.worldmapsonline.com/SU003...doregonmap.htm

nor Denmark!

--