Old June 23rd 20, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Tubeless tire FAQ

On Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 8:53:04 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Here's Jan Heine's tubeless tire FAQ, posted June 17, 2020

https://www.renehersecycles.com/cate...ting-and-tech/

--
- Frank Krygowski

Let's see what the group can make of this: A friend is rather large and heavy (though he is riding it off slowly). He had 23 mm Panasonic tires on his Trek Madone and got his first flat Saturday after about six months. The wheels are Mavic Kyseriums. He would run 120 psi.

I don't how he can ride those things since another friend has to replace his once a year and weighs 20 lbs less bare minimum.

But I offered to sell him a set of GP5000TL 25 mm tires. (Actually I offered to give them to him and he refused and wanted to pay)

Those GP5000's absolutely refused to mount and he flatted two tubes trying and I tried everything I could and they would not mount.

I have a new (leftover) Performance innertube of 19-26 mm tire size. So again he had to pay for it despite I couldn't do anything with a 48 mm Presta valve.

The tire inside was so tight that I couldn't even get a tire "iron" under it except with a great deal of work and I couldn't get the tire off of the wheel on one side until I lubed it with soapy water. The tire cord on each side expanded to the outside of the wheel rim hook bead. There didn't seem to be any cup in the rim center at all.

Finally he got tired of messing with it and took it down to his local bike shop who said you couldn't put tubeless tires on clincher rims. My experience is that it is a hell of a lot easier to put tubeless tires on a standard clincher rims than on tubeless rims because of the narrower center well.

What do you think about all of this?