Old June 25th 20, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Concerning commuting by bike

On 6/24/2020 7:19 PM, jbeattie wrote:

BTW, my mandatory commute is only five miles. Longer distances on the way home are elective. I work with a guy who is overweight by any measure, and he commutes 12 miles each way every day. He's in his 50s. A lot of his commute is on a rail-trail. BTW, he switched to a disk bike because he was grinding up rims every few years.

Russell's comment on that brought up a good point, rail trails shouldn't
require much braking at all. Is the rest of the guy's commute super steep?
Speaking of law enforcement, it works both ways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azFUWiI2yA0

I'm curious: That was 8 years ago. What's happened since with
enforcement, and with bicyclist behavior?

I'm also curious why they don't just make it a yield-on-entry roundabout.

As Tom said in another post, a full stop on a bike often is more
dangerous than just yielding, and unless traffic is really heavy, it can
often be omitted by judicious timing. I'm particularly reluctant to do a
full stop on our tandem, if I can safely avoid it.

It's my understanding that Idaho's law (bikes need only yield at stop
signs) actually adds safety. It's a bit tricky to lobby for that law,
though. Many politicians see it as a pathway to anarchy.

--
- Frank Krygowski