Old July 1st 20, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Government Bicycle Program News

On 6/30/2020 2:42 PM, wrote:

We have different definitions of adult bicyclists. I know maybe technically any adult who rides a bicycle meets the definition. But I only consider people who ride frequently for 30-40-50-60 miles at a time as bicyclists. Others may ride a bicycle, but riding once or twice a year with the kids on the trails for an hour or two doesn't qualify for me. So the low cost bikes you mention would be the appropriate tool for those tasks.

We do have different definitions.

I consider transportational cyclists, whether they are school-age
children, tech professionals, day workers, or retirees, as cyclists.

They will often ride 10 miles or less at a time. For these cyclists, a
$500 bicycle is at the high end of what they would spend. I'm thrilled
when they spend $500 at a bicycle shop (or REI or Sports Basement or
even Dick's Sporting Goods) instead of $100-200 for a piece of junk at
Walmart or Target.

Sometimes the bicycles that these individuals want aren't even sold at
bicycle shops. My wife wanted a specific kind of bicycle for commuting.
Low stepover frame, Townie or Cruiser bars, and full gearing (not a one
speed). Got it at now defunct Sports Authority. She's been riding it to
work for 8.5 years. About 9 miles each way. It was under $400 back then.