Old June 11th 19, 09:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default BB standard

On Tuesday, June 11, 2019 at 5:54:33 AM UTC+1, James wrote:
On 11/6/19 1:40 pm, jbeattie wrote:

BBs have gotten more attention than any other frame component in the
last 10-15 years. https://wheelsmfg.com/bb-standards Too much
attention. They should have gotten less attention. And before we
changed the shells, we had to cycle through ISIS and Octalink. I
think we hit the pinnacle with Shimano $16 outboard bearings in a
threaded BB with a Hollowtec crank.
https://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-BB...Eg rQYdKwAN1A
Or a Campy equivalent if you're into Italiano.

Campagnolo UltraTorque BB & crank design is *the* pinnacle of
development as far as I am concerned. If there was never another BB
assy, I would be happy to use the UT design ad infinitum.

--
JS

I used to love the good old British standard threaded BB shell, cups and bottom brackets with 1/2in square drive. Common as dirt, and therefore cheap even for good quality components, lasts only like forever, creaks fixed by finding a lamppost or a gatepost or a tree agains which to brace one pedal while the cyclist stood -- or jumped on, according to taste and dignity -- the other pedal.

Now, on my Bafang centre motor, on the drive side I have some unknown bearing deep in the gubbins, without any clarity on how it will ever be replaced, or whether when the bearing wears out the whole motor with the expensive built-in controller is scrapped.

But even that is nothing against the stupendously stupid "engineering" on the non-drive side, where a locking with one specification with its own dedicated tool is overlocked by another specification lockring with a different dedicated tool -- and a higher torque spec, the outer ring totally covering the inner ring so that you can no longer get at it. The upshot, as far as I can see, is that if the inner locking comes loose, as eventually it will, the outer locking will be locked to it by the higher torque and will become loose with it, but you will never get it off without cutting equipment because the torque has squeezed the two rings' threads apart agains the thread on the shaft, and when you do get it off the chances are the thread on the shaft will be ruined. Aaaargh!

Andre Jute
Some people don't even have the brains they were born with