Old August 9th 04, 02:43 PM
brian.slater

Default Lurker comes out of hiding!

anyway, sorry about the long post

Long? it's not long, see some of Mikefules posts, their long and fun,
too!

Also I'm doing a couple of things that have been refered to as "bad
habits" on the forum, namely putting very little weight on the saddle
and flailing my arms for balance.

If you're still -actively- flailing, first try holding your arms as if
you were leaning on a mantel at shoulder height, ready to flail but not
actually flailing. When you get that, try to let them hang lower and
lower, until they are near your sides, then try the folded or behind
your back. Weight on the seat will come with practice, but work hard at
it; it will help a lot, both for aches and balance.

The seat post is at its maximum height, but is still slightly lower
than I would have it on a bicycle (which could partly account for the
leg ache). Should I get a longer seat post (I've got a unicycle.com
"adult's learner" 20", so it should be easy) or should I just get used
to it how it is? Most of my riding will likely be off-road, and I've
noticed that people seem to have the saddle relatively low for that
anyway - am I right?

For road (or very flat off-road) rides, set the seat post about the same
as on your bike, for off-road, as much as two inches lower (when you get
good, I'm still at about half an inch ).

--
brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

Brian C. Slater
AKA: Snoopy

Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

"To not decide is to decide" - undecided
brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902