Old August 10th 04, 06:01 AM
Klaas Bil

Default Lurker comes out of hiding!

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 07:16:12 -0500, "rob.northcott" wrote:

I've been reading this forum as a lurker for a couple of months, so
thought it's about time I get round to introducing myself...

(well I am apparently rather old to learn at 34 according to many
people's opinions!)

Those people are not in the know! There is an age distribution chart
of the age that people on this forum learned to ride, about two-thirds
down on http://www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/agelearn.htm. 34 is perfectly
normal! (I wish I learned at that young age...)

done so far and my legs really ache now, which surprises me as I'm a
keen cyclist - perhaps it's just my poor technique!

Yes it probably is, but it'll get better with practice.

Should I get a longer seat post

Yes.

Most of my riding will likely be off-road, and I've
noticed that people seem to have the saddle relatively low for that
anyway - am I right?

You're right - but my guess is that you will be buying a dedicated
MUni in the future. Even then, your 20" should be well rideable -which
for you it only is with a longer seatpost.

Will these just go away with practise
or should I be doing something positive to correct them?

The flailing arms issue will largely correct itself (with practice)
although the suggestions given by others can hasten the process. For
the weight on seat issue, that is very usual when people are new to
unicycling, and it might use some conscious training to correct. Every
time you ride easily (as easily as it gets for a novice), make a
conscious effort to reduce weight on pedals. Maybe imagine there is
something fragile between your foot and the pedal. You'll notice that
the unicycle seems to ride itself more that way, and it is much less
tiring. Soon enough you'll do it without thinking.

Tried riding up a steepish
slope yesterday and felt like I needed to hold the saddle to stop myself
just standing up, but I couldn't balance with only one arm!

That'll come with practice. BTW, there's nothing wrong with standing
up when you climb a steep grade. If you have the seat low for MUni,
standing up can increase pedal power, especially if you pull on the
seat simultaneously.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
I like the idea of not having to balance when out on a ride - joe