Old January 28th 20, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Decline in bicycling?

On 1/28/2020 12:32 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:

snip

Switzerland did have compulsory third-party insurance for bicycles, like
for mopeds, until 2011 https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velovignette
(German only).Â* Until 1989, this included registration of your bicycle
in the city of residence.

A lot of cities in the U.S. had mandatory bicycle registration, though
enforcement was rare (except for some reason in Hawaii). A lot of those
laws are still on the books.

In my own city's code: "Bookmark11.08.040 License–Issuance. The City
Manager is authorized to issue bicycle licenses upon written
application, which license, when issued, shall entitle the licensee to
operate and use the bicycle. (Ord. 1420, (part), 1987)"

I am sure that my City Manager would be astounded to learn that she is
authorized to do this, and would have absolutely no idea of how to do it.

In the city I grew up in, you went to a fire station to get a bicycle
license, but not many people did that. It was more to have it registered
in case it was stolen and recovered.