Old August 11th 19, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default add hops

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 05:04:11 +0700, John B. wrote:

Oh, more moderation from the authorities? That's the kind of thing they
try and it fails to address the underlying issue.

And what is that? That Australians are natural born boozers?

For the past 50 years, or so, I've worked with Australians, known
Australians, associated with Australians and even visited Oz and that
is not what I see at all. In fact, my impression is that Australians are
pretty boring people, you know? Want to make a living wage, educate
their kids, have a decent place to live. etc.

It depends on where and whom you associate with. You need to look at it
from the view point of "community places". In smaller places, The Pub
(bar/hotel) will often be the main social places. IME, whilst the
bussiness thrives on selling alcohol, the tone is influenced by the
general community and generally it is moderate with individual exceptions.

When you start to have multiple pubs, then you start to get the extremes.
The "owners"will tend to favour a certain crowd that they think will keep
them profitable. and they determine the behaviour. Again, IME, it is the
places where the consumption of "spirits" are the focus that the real
social problems occur.

So Sydney has passed "lock out laws"(last entry and last drink times) in
a suburb because the excessive all hours drinking resulted in deaths from
assault and a whole pile of trauma in hospitals. Now all the people who
profit from the alcohol sales are whining about their businesses.

Although Crocodile Dundee may be a very romantic figure I've never met
him in all the years I've know Australians.

The usual Hollywood concotion based on a few "tales". The actor was a
painter on the Sydney Harbour Bridge who did some Tv humour skits.

To get back to bicycles and riders, in all my years, I've only come
across one rider who you would call a drunk and they were doing their
best to come home rolling drunk every night from where ever they were
drinking that night. Weirdly they they have ridding a good way around
Australa.

With the "club trips" we ran, occassionaly people might explore the local
pub and since the riders were largely "city people", the reports were all
amusing to us as the different cultures met.