Old November 14th 17, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JQ

Default Alfine 11 hub skipping under hard pedaling

On 11/13/2017 4:04 AM, JQ wrote:
On 11/10/2017 8:50 AM, wrote:
Dear All,

Thank you for your comments and advice. I investigated a little more
and I have isolated the skipping to the 8th gear. It only happens
after pedaling for a while so it is hard to replicate on a stand.
Now, every time it happens, I change the adjustment a little and
experiment with the frequency of the skips.

Also, as you suggested, I need to change the oil. The Shimano or
Rohloff oils are ridiculously expensive, so I have found this
alternative at a reasonable price:

Liqui Moly 1401 GL4 SAE 80 W Transmission Oil

For about $10 per quart it will allow me to rinse the hub more than
once and more change the oil. What do you think?

Many thanks again

Dimitris

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004FPQYW4/

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 3:22:34 PM UTC+2, dstamat wrote:
Dear All,

The Alfine 11 SG-S700 hub of my commuting bicycle has started to
skip when I pedal standing up. Mostly around the middle of the range
(5, 6 and 7). I hear a very loud noise and I have to stop pedaling.
It does not happen when pedaling seated. When in 6 gear the two
small yellow lines are aligned so I guess it is not because of bad
adjustment.

I have had this bike for ~5 years but it has only been ridden for
~1000 mi. The oil of the hub has not been changed yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Dimitris

I would think the gear that is skipping is the one you ride in mostly,
right? If it is the case the chain has stretched and the gear teeth
has also stretched, so when it is under heavy load the instead of the
chain sitting in the chain groove it is slipping up and out.Â* causing
the hops or skips. Start saving up your money to replace both the
chain and cassette. You will be able to get many more miles but you
will need to start avoiding the gear that is slipping. Keep the chain
clean and lubed and the cassette clean to get the most out of it. A
new or newish chain may give you better performance but I would not
put a new chain on there until you switch out everything. Get a decent
chain and cassette and definitely don't go with the lightest one
around as they will not last as long. Good luck and safe riding...

i just realized that the bike in question is a hub system and not th
standard drive system. That's what happens when you pull and all nighter
with only a few hours sleep the few nights before. I have not worked on
a hub system so my advice may not be correct, sorry!

--
Ride fast, ride hard, ride for health and enjoyment... Coach JQ Dancing
on the edge

---