Old November 15th 17, 07:47 AM posted to
Default Opinions of Gates Carbon Drive system?

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 19:40:44 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 11/14/2017 8:01 AM, wrote:
I searched dutifully, but couldn't find a thread on this. (I believe Andre might have a bike with Carbon Drive; not sure.) Has this been discussed here?

I would be very interested to hear how the Carbon Drive system's friction losses compare to those of a chain, and how it holds up in heavy use by a serious rider.

I can't answer your question directly but the largest
difference between a belt and a chain is noise. Assuming
noise is audible inefficiency may imply an answer.

With standard 8-speed chain drive I can ride very quietly. Vintage
1980 road bike, chainstay length is normal for back then, long by
today's standards.

Know someone with belt drive and it's just as quiet.